This workflow explains how ORCID members can collect permission from authors to add published works to their ORCID record via permission notifications.
This is a great way to reach out to authors to gain permission to add works to the author’s ORCID record with the notification being added directly within their ORCID Inbox.
This workflow is only suitable to Open Infrastructure providers (e.g. DOI registrars) that have the technical resource to build a custom integration using the ORCID member API.
Below is an example workflow for collecting permissions using permission notifications
- Corresponding and co-authors ORCID iD’s are collected by the publisher as part of the article manuscript submission workflow
- If the article is accepted, the ORCID iDs are included in the metadata sent to the DOI registration agency
- The DOI registration agency uses the ORCID API to send a permission notifications to the author’s ORCID iD’s that are included within the article metadata requesting permission to add the work to the author’s ORCID record.
- The author receives the permission notification within their ORCID inbox and also via email (depending on the users notification settings)
- The author grants permission from the ‘Grant permission’ button within the notification and is directed to sign in and provide the DOI registration agency permission via the oauth workflow
- The DOI registration agency adds the work to the authors record once permission is granted
- Any future works where the ORCID iD is included within the article metadata for new DOI’s are then added to the users ORCID record without having to ask for permission again
Example permission notification
Find out more about the permission notifications here