We are constantly working to improve the user experience! Feature Friday is where we let the community know about updates we’ve made to the ORCID Registry and the Member Portal.
26 May, 2023
The most recent update to the ORCID Registry includes an updated SPAM detection process, which will help us reduce the number of SPAM records created by bots and link farmers hoping to gain an advantage in search engine rankings.
We also made some changes to the visibility widget to ensure that it is accessible to all. We’ve also included the length header within webhook requests to prevent a number of webhooks being rejected by member integrations, improving the process of synchronizing the ORCID Registry with external systems.
Additionally, we made an update to the Member Portal that allows all members and consortia lead organizations to be able to manage their own ORCID membership contacts from within the portal.
28 April, 2023
Our latest update to the ORCID Registry includes further accessibility enhancements to make it easier to use for all. We’re also now making use of the ISSN (International Standard Serial Number) Portal to ensure Peer review Group names in the Registry are kept up to date.
If you’ve spotted a bug in the Registry, we might have fixed it by now. Here’s the latest roundup of fixes we’ve just completed in the latest sprint.
- Added table formatting to the external identifiers page (https://pub.orcid.org/v3.0/identifiers)
- Ensured the ROR identifier is used as the default when available for affiliations added manually
- Updated the external ID URL automatically when the external ID is updated
- Prevented the last modified date and time being updated if a save to the names modal is made without any data being updated
- Email verification banner displaying at the top of the My ORCID page (the UI of your ORCID record) to encourage users to verify their email addresses.
- Redirect URI issue with double calls being made which resulted in the auth code being invalid
- In addition to a number of maintenance tasks, our latest updates to the Member Portal includes enhanced access to the affiliation dashboard report, which is now available to all members. This will enable research organizations to monitor outreach and track their researchers. We’ve also made a small change to the way that we show contacts within the member’s homepage in preparation for allowing members to manage their ORCID membership contacts. This includes further organization and contact information within the microservice to allow us to display this information on the homepage in a future sprint.
Additionally, Consortia Leads now have access to a new report entitled “Consortia Members Affiliations,” which shows affiliation data for the consortium members and allows Consortia Leads to drill through to the consortium members’ own affiliation dashboard. We’ve also begun investigation on the best way to allow Consortia Leads to manage their Consortium Members data via the Self Service functionality.
21 April, 2023
Since the last update, we have been hard at work reviewing the development that was completed in the last round and planning the work for the next sprints—for both the ORCID Registry and the Member Portal. We did not deploy a release for the Member Portal this time, but we plan to release the development in the next sprint cycle.
On the Registry side, we have just released upgrades of many libraries, which will help us to maintain the security and integrity of the Registry. We also fixed a bug that affects how certain names are displayed within the contributor list when imported by BibTeX. With our accessibility improvements, we made a number of updates to make it easier for everyone to use our services. That’s a wrap. Stay tuned for more updates soon!
24 March, 2023
Our latest releases for the ORCID Registry include more accessibility improvements and upgrades to our technology stack to improve service resilience. Additionally, we implemented Google Analytics 4 side-by-side with Google Universal Analytics. This will allow us to provide continuity within member reporting when Google Universal Analytics ceases operations. We also implemented Google Tag Manager so that we can provide improved cookie consent management in the future.
ORCID member organizations will see that we have made some upgrades to their Member Portal interface, specifically in the user view, where we removed the Admin column, as it was causing confusion for some users as it was not an option that could be selected. We’ve also improved security for logged-in users. Lastly, we added missing translations to the Affiliation Manager and created some automated tests to improve the testing process.
24 Feb, 2023
We have just finished some new releases for the ORCID registry and the Member Portal. Take a look at all the new upgrades and fixes we have in store.
In the ORCID registry, we continued to make great progress with our ongoing accessibility improvements. Recent updates include full translations for accessible form field labels and supporting copy in all of the core forms in the registry.
We also made a fix that prevents ORCID Inbox notifications being sent to users when a member has pushed an update to their record but without any changes to the existing content. This will reduce the amount of user confusion, as well as ensure that any notification that comes from ORCID is useful to record holders.
Because we have over 16 million records, we required a new block of identifiers. ISNI, the organization ORCID coordinates with to release the 16-digit unique identifiers, has released a new range reserved for ORCID defined between 0009-0000-0000-0000 and 0009-0010-0000-0000.
The new in-record guidance we’ve added to the registry—including the Welcome Panels that guide users to verify their email and add an affiliation or a work—are now also in Portuguese and Spanish, as well as English. The language is shown based on the user browser language
We added a user survey, which will help us continue to get useful feedback from our community.
Lastly, we ran routine maintenance and made some bug fixes.
In the Member Portal, we made improvements to sending notifications to researchers through Affiliation Manager that include the addition of a schedule with sending notifications immediately when the process has been run, then 7 and 30 days after if the researcher has not granted permission. Additionally, members can select the language from the list of supported languages that they want the notifications to be sent in.
We also tweaked the inbox notification to make it clearer to researchers what benefits they will gain once they grant permission to their organization.
Lastly, we added missing translations and ran routine maintenance so everything will run smoothly.
3 Feb, 2023
We recently completed two releases for both the ORCID Registry and the Member Portal!
Highlights of the release include:
- Made some accessibility improvements, including translations
- Completed a number of small bug fixes
- Changed the way we display contacts that have multiple roles
- Added a formatting editor to the public display description
- Fixed the public display website URLs for those that are missing a protocol in the source data (set of rules for formatting and processing data)
- Completed a number of maintenance tasks
13 Jan, 2023
We’ve just completed our latest release, and we’re making great progress toward a fully accessible and inclusive registry!
Highlights of the release include:
- Fixed some input forms in the UI (names, bio) so they make more sense to assistive technology
- Switched to an accessible placeholder color for input boxes so that they’re easier to read
- Fixed the tab ordering so users can tab through every interactive element on the page and be able to understand the purpose of each item as it comes into focus
- Made the underlying HTML of records make semantic sense and fixed some issues with html IDs so that assistive technology can interpret them better