As described in the Member portal organization admin guide , before you can add affiliation data to your researcher’s ORCID records, your researchers first need to grant your organization permission to edit their record by clicking a customized link generated by the member portal.
Although the member portal generates permission links, your organization must email them to your researchers. Sending these emails from your organization’s email domain (ideally) using your organization’s branding provides advantages including:
- Increased likelihood that emails will be successfully delivered and opened
- Decreased likelihood that researchers will view emails as potential spam or phishing attempts
- Ability to fully customize the message and design according to your organization’s needs and policies
Permission email content guidelines
- Brief explanation of the purpose of the message
- Permission link generated by the member portal, customized for each researcher (as identified by email address in the CSV downloaded from the member portal)
- Steps needed to grant permission
- Brief explanation of what will happen after granting permission
- Point of contact within your organization for help or questions about your ORCID
- Link to additional information about ORCID
- Any other text or links as required by your organization’s bulk email policies
- Your organization’s branding (for example, in the message header/footer)
- Greeting customized with the researcher’s name
- Statement of institutional support for ORCID
- Links to additional information about your organization’s ORCID initiative
Sending permission emails
Via your organization’s bulk email tool (recommended)
Many organizations provide tools/services for sending email in bulk. Please check with your organization’s communications, marketing and/or IT teams as appropriate in order to determine which tools are available, and what use policies exist for those tools.
When assessing available tools, keep mind that the tool must support importing and dynamically inserting permission links generated by the member portal.
Via an organization email account
If your organization does not provide a bulk email tool, you may be able to use a regular organizational email account. Note that some email services limit the number of messages you can send from your account.
General documentation for sending bulk email using popular enterprise email services is below, however, ORCID does not provide support for using these services. Please consult your organization’s documentation and/or IT team for guidance on sending bulk email.
Mail merge with Microsoft Word (requires MAPI support enabled)
Gmail does not support “mail merge” functionality out of the box, however, several Add-ons are available from the GSuite Marketplace, including Yet Another Mail Merge
Sample message text
See our recommended email template below or view it in Google Docs here. It’s important to keep the action you want your researchers to do (click on the link and give permission) at the top of the email. Put further information further down the page to maximise the chances of them following through on the email and not getting overwhelmed with information.