Related: Reports and ORCID Recommendations from ORBIT Funder Working Group
The Funder Working Group was active from December 2017 until September 2019. The following information provides historical reference and context of the now inactive group.
Funders are working with ORCID to enhance our data model and third party service integrations to broaden connections to the array of research and career data usually contained in grant applications, post award reports, and biographies. We established the Funder Working Group (FWG) to formalize these interactions. The group included funders large and small, national and global, government and charity, disciplinary and broad multidisciplinary.
The primary objective of the FWG was to provide expert input on the ORCID Reducing Burden and Improving Transparency (ORBIT) project, with the goal of improving local and global reusability of research and researcher information by describing and testing opportunities for convenience and efficiency gains in grant application and reporting workflows.
In addition to data model requirements, topics for the ORCID FWG included persistent identifiers for grants, interactions with publishers, data sharing workflows, and administrative burden for researchers. Group members had policy, program, and/or technical expertise. The ORCID project team brought in additional expertise from the persistent identifier and research information community as needed.
- ALS Association (USA)
- Australian Research Council – ARC (Australia)
- Austrian Science Fund – FWF (Austria)
- BBSRC (UK)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research – CIHR (Canada)
- CONCYTEC (Peru)
- CONICYT (Chile)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico – CNPq (Brazil)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior – CAPES (Brazil)
- Crossref (UK)
- DataCite (USA)
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia – FCT (Portugal)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute – HHMI (USA)
- Japan Science and Technology Agency – JST (Japan)
- Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment – MBIE (New Zealand)
- National Humanities Alliance – NHA (USA)
- National Research Foundation – NRF (South Africa)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada – NSERC (Canada)
- Science and Technology Development Fund – STDF (Egypt)
- Science Foundation Ireland – SFI (Ireland)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council – SSHRC (Canada)
- Swiss National Science Foundation – SNF (Switzerland)
- US National Institutes of Health – NIH (USA)
- Wellcome Trust (UK)
More information is available in the full Terms of Reference for the ORCID Funder Working Group.