All affiliation sections use the same set of metadata in the API:
- Organization name:* The name of the organization at the highest level (e.g. “Boston University”, rather than “Boston University School of Medicine”).
- Organization city:* City of where the organisation is based.
- Organization region: Region of where the organisation is based.
- Organization country* the country of the organisation. This should be populated with the two letter ISO 3166 Alpha-2 country code.
- Organization ID (ROR, Ringgold**, GRID, or LEI):* A unique identifier for the organization and its source. We recommend that the parent organization ID is used within the affiliation and not the division or department.
- Role/Title: The position held, or the degree awarded or to be awarded.
- Department: Any subdivision of the parent organization.
- URL: A URL to a resource about the affiliation
- Start date: The date the relationship between the researcher and organization began (can be specified down to year, month, and day).
- End date: The date the relationship between the researcher and organization ended (can be specified down to year, month, and day)
- An external persistent identifier describing the affiliation: A unique identifier for the actual affiliation assertion
*Indicates a required field.
**Although Ringgold identifiers still exist within the ORCID registry, as of 1 August 2023, ORCID no longer receives updates to the RINGGOLD organization identifier database used by our Registry, nor will we be able to process or use RINGGOLD IDs created after that date. See our FAQ for more info.