Public Client credentials are granted to individuals and not organizations. Credentials cannot be transferred from one individual to another but they can be converted to member API credentials if agreement is received from all parties and the organization is an active member of ORCID.
Moving the Client ID to the Member API won’t alter the Client ID, only the Client Secret, and you will keep the number of connected iDs with your read only permission.
When converting the Public API client into a Member API client the Public Client Terms of Service no longer apply, and they are substituted by the terms of the Member Agreement.
For the transfer, we would need:
- Confirmation of the Public API client ID to be converted.
- That the organisation’s main contact and the record holder of the current Public API client ID agree with the change in the Terms of Service. (The record holder needs to be an employee, contractor or officer of the member organization) We will keep a record of both parties’ consent.
- A date/time for the migration to happen. As part of this migration, we will update the client ID and send you a new client secret in an encrypted e-mail. Please note that once we update the client, your integration will not work until you update the client secret. This is why we need to fix a date and time for this to be done and to prevent inconveniences for users.
For the conversion to be completed, you will need to update:
- The old client secret to the new client secret.
- The API host from pub.orcid.org to api.orcid.org.
With your converted Member API client ID, you can update the scopes to add member API scopes. This will require authorization from users, and new access tokens will be generated to include the new scopes/permissions.
Please note that we are not able to convert Member API clients credentials to Public API credentials.