The ORCID Registry will go live in October, 2012. At that time, individuals may register for a persistent ORCID ID and manage their ORCID record. In addition to the public Registry, included in the October release will be a public Application Programming Interface (API); and for members an authenticated API to create, edit, and view information stored in the ORCID Registry. During the pre-launch phase we are working with institutions, publishers, manuscript tracking vendors, and funding bodies to ensure effective integration of ORCIDs into a variety of critical research workflows.
At launch, the ORCID Registry and system will include the following features:
- Usability: Individuals may claim and create their own record and manage their record and account, including assigning proxy access.
- Fields & Objects: The ORCID record will include mandatory fields for Name, email, and Organization, and additional fields to capture information about Publications, Grants, Patents and Education History.
- Privacy Management: Individuals (or proxies) may manage field-level privacy settings for the information stored in their record: Private (share with no one), Limited Access (share only with those specified), and Public (share with everyone).
- Member Read/Write Access Interface: Authorized ORCID Members may add information to an individual’s ORCID record using an OAuth API. ORCID Members may read public, and if authorized, limited access data from the ORCID registry via the OAuth API.
- Public Data Read Access Interface: Members and non-members may use a public API and interface to read public data from the ORCID registry.
- Widgets & Member Site Integration: Widgets, badges, instructions, and descriptions of ORCID will be available to support integration between sites.
- Logging & Tracking: The ORCID system will log key information on system performance and record changes.
We are currently soliciting Launch Partners to get broad feedback on launch functionality and to ensure early integration of ORCID services. The Launch Partners program is similar to a Beta program that one may find with other product launches. Partners must be dedicated to provide feedback and suggestions to ORCID throughout the 15-week launch period and a commitment to become a member by the ORCID launch date. Please see our Launch Partners Web page for more information.