In 2021 we began rolling out our Member Portal as a suite of new tools to help member organizations—especially those with limited in-house technical resources—get more from their ORCID membership. We launched the Affiliation Manager to help ORCID consortium members write authoritative affiliation data to ORCID records, and are happy to announce the launch of our newest consortium member-only tool in the Member Portal—the Member Affiliation Dashboard. What is especially useful about this dashboard is that the metrics in it are based on affiliation data, which is more accurate than email domain data previously used. This gives consortium members more reliable insight about ORCID adoption at their institution over time.
The new dashboard shows ORCID iDs for all of the researchers affiliated with an organization and allows for download of ORCID iDs, names, and affiliation details as CSV to cross-reference with internal organizational systems such as HRIS or CRIS. The dashboard also allows organizations to distinguish between the number of current and past affiliated researchers, giving a fine-grained, accurate picture of research outputs over time. For consortium members looking to promote ORCID in their organizations, affiliation data can show adoption trends over time and can be a tool to gauge the impact of internal ORCID awareness campaigns.
A new view into deeper organizational insights
If you are a consortium member, we invite you to log into the Member Portal and explore your Member Affiliation Dashboard, and you can read more about the dashboard here. Your Member Affiliation Dashboard will show you information about:
- The number of records that have at least one affiliation to your organization with one of the registered ORG IDs. This could be current or a past affiliation;
- The number of active records that have at least one affiliation to your organization with one of the registered ORG IDs. This could be a current or past affiliation;
- The number of current affiliations (no end date)
- The total number of affiliations
- The number of affiliations added via Affiliation Manager or member integration vs. number of affiliations added manually by users over time;
- The types of affiliations added over time;
- A list of the first 50,000 publicly affiliated ORCID records;
- A list of the first 50,000 publicly current affiliations; and
- A list of the first 50,000 affiliations
Currently, the Member Affiliation Dashboard includes GRID, ROR, and Ringgold identifiers that we have stored against your organization. If any IDs seem to be missing for your organization, contact your engagement support lead to register additional IDs.
Improve your affiliation reports by adding affiliation data for your researchers
As the metrics found in the Member Affiliation Dashboard is based on affiliation data, the reports can of course be improved by asserting trusted affiliation data to the ORCID records of researchers at your institution. Any ORCID member can do this via a direct integration with the ORCID registry, or by enabling pre-existing functionality offered by vendor systems your organization may currently be using. In addition, ORCID consortium members can add affiliation data to their researchers’ ORCID records quickly—without the need for a developer or specialized IT knowledge—by enabling the Affiliation Manager.
ORCID Enabled Systems may offer built in support
We encourage you to check and see if you could be taking advantage of any pre-existing functionality that will write affiliation data to ORCID records on your organization’s behalf.