Research funding organizations sustain and accelerate research and scholarship. They are a crucial part of the ORCID community, and have been involved with ORCID from our earliest days. Funders engage with ORCID, and encourage their communities to do so by integrating ORCID iDs into their workflows, by stating their support for ORCID, and by implementing policies to increase the adoption of ORCID iDs.
The value of identifiers to funding organizations is clear: funders gather a lot of information about research activities, and identifiers can streamline the process of gathering that information, and help to make it more accurate. Funders use ORCID iDs to make funding applications and outcome reporting easier, to improve the reusability of the information they collect, to ensure the accurate citation of an award (by pushing award information into ORCID records), and to recognize the contributions of reviewers.
The following funders have issued a policy or statement relating to the use of ORCID iDs:
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
European Commission (EC)
Joint Statement of Principle: Adoption and Use of ORCID identifiers in New Zealand
Jointly issued by:
- Health Research Council of New Zealand
- Independent Research Association of New Zealand
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry for Primary Industries
- New Zealand Association of Scientists
- Royal Society of New Zealand
- Science New Zealand
- Tertiary Education Commission
- Universities New Zealand
- The Metric Tide: Report of the Independent Review of the Role of Metrics in Research Assessment and Management (HEFCE report)
National Research Foundation (Singapore)
- Example of grant application form requiring ORCID iD in Letter of Intent (LOI): NRF Competitive Research Programme (CRP) 17th Call-for-proposals
Research Councils UK (RCUK)
Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet)
If you are a funder and would like us to include your ORCID policy on this page, or if you are aware of a funder policy that is missing from the list, please contact [email protected].