There are many types of research resources, from single-use reagents to international collaboratives with dedicated facilities. ORCID supports a high-level model that can link to other places for domain specific detail.
There are four high-level resource types:
|Infrastructure||A facility, building, or other physical space used to perform research||Neutron spallation source, animal facility, data enclave, archaeological site, telescope array. ships, planes, farms, laboratories|
|Collection||An object or group of objects used for research purposes; can be tangible or digital||Ocean mission, field campaign, collaborative data sets or resources, rare book collection; museum collection, biological specimen collection|
|Equipment||Hardware used for research purposes||Microscope, computers, glassware, samples, materials|
|Service||Services used for research purposes||Proteomics analysis, computing services, data analysis, logistical support, legal services, copyediting, expert or staff advisement|
In addition to resource type, a research resource item within an ORCID record contains the following information. * indicates required items
- Proposal/Registration Title:* This is the main display field for research resources e.g., “Neutron Beam Award” or “Beam time and computing resources”
- Proposal/Registration ID:* This is the public identifier (DOI, PURL, etc.) for the proposal or request to use the resource. Ideally, this identifier should be persistent and resolve to a public landing page with information about the proposal or request, such as an awards database or resource user log.
- Proposal Host(s):* This is the organization that receives and processes resource proposals or requests. Proposal Host may be the same as Resource Host
- Proposal Host Name:*
- Proposal Host Organization iD* This is the public identifier (one of GRID, Ringgold ID, Open Funder ID, LEI) for the organization managing the proposal or request process
- Resource(s):* (up to 100)
- Resource Name:* - e.g., “Neutron Spallation Source”
- Resource ID(s):* - from an extensible list of acceptable PID types (e.g. RRID, DOI, URI)
- Resource Type:* - one of ‘Infrastructures’, ‘Collections’, ‘Equipment’, or ‘Services’
- Resource Host(s):* This is the organization that administers or operates the Resource, such as a national laboratory, government agency, or research university
- Resource Host Name:* The organization(s) that administer or operate the resource, typically a national laboratory, government agency, or research university.
- Resource Host Organization ID:* Proposal URL: A link to the proposal
- Proposal Start Date: The date the access started
- Proposal End Date: The date the access ended or will end
* Indicates required field