Stay up to date with the research that comes from your scholars – while making their lives easier
Benefits for Universities and Research Institutions
As an organization involved in research, scholarship, and innovation, you are in a unique position to connect trustworthy information about your researchers and their affiliation with you to their ORCID records. We strongly encourage you to plan and build ORCID integrations, or use an ORCID service provider that enables you to add and update this information for your faculty, staff, students, alumni, and members.
- Reduced administrative burden: Increase both efficiency and quality in critical processes like assessment exercises. Avoid time spent re-entering data during submission, review, and reporting. When your researchers have more time to spend on research, you save money!
- Interconnected infrastructure: The ORCID registry is an open, interconnected hub of profile data. By integrating with ORCID, you can contribute affiliation data and extend the reach of your systems. Sharing data with ORCID can help you to avoid being locked into costly, proprietary systems.
- Name disambiguation: Have confidence that you have correctly identified contributions from your researchers, regardless of the popularity or variability of their names.
- Better research connections: Follow your researchers’ careers even after they leave your institution. Keep better track of collaborators and peers at other institutions.
- Reduce costs: Reduce the costs required to track the research that comes from your institution by automatically accessing authoritative trusted publication and funding data from your researchers’ ORCID records.
- Improved visibility of outputs: Improve the visibility of your researchers’ outputs and ensure they get the recognition they deserve by automatically writing authoritative, trusted affiliation data via integration with the ORCID registry.
It is possible to integrate with HR systems, Research Information Management Systems, Repositories, Publishing Systems and eThesis and Dissertations, IdP systems and more. There are many commercial and non-commercial systems in these categories that support ORCID out of the box!
Improving the flow of research information
ORCID can help you take control of how your institution’s name is used across research systems. You probably manage research information in many different systems: grant applications, manuscript submissions, research profiles, even other systems outside of your institution. Integrating with our APIs can significantly improve the flow of this information within your own organization and between organizations at every stage of the research lifecycle, from grant application and publication to research information management reporting.
Keep up with your researchers’ careers
In combination with other persistent identifiers, ORCID enables you to authoritatively assert your staff, faculty, and student affiliations with your institution. Globally, you employ and teach millions of individuals who are engaged in innovative research, teaching, and scholarship. You can also use ORCID APIs to receive real-time notifications about research activities, to auto-update forms, and to follow your alumni’s careers after graduation, during sabbatical or secondment, or even after they’ve moved onto new positions.
ORCID resources for research organizations
ORCID offers a range of resources to support research institutions in using iDs—including best practice guidance and clear articulation of the potential benefits at every stage— and technical information.