Imagine being able to allow your researchers, scholars, and innovators to spend more time making contributions and be less frustrated managing and sharing those contributions.
Imagine being able to easily follow their professional activities throughout their career.
ORCID is a vital part of the toolkit many institutions are already using to make this a reality. ORCID iDs are being actively* used by nearly 5 million users every year (and growing!)
Benefits for Research Organizations
As an organization involved in research, scholarship, and innovation, you are in a unique position to connect validated, trustworthy information about your researchers and their affiliation with you to their ORCID records. We strongly encourage you to plan and build ORCID integrations, or use an ORCID service provider that enables you to add and update this information for your faculty, staff, students, alumni, and members.
- Identify your researchers with a unique persistent identifier. Name disambiguation is a known problem in scholarly communication—one which ORCID was launched to help resolve.
- Help ensure the work produced by your researchers is attributed to your organization and take control of how your organization’s name is used by authoritatively connecting researchers with your organization identifier.
- Make it easy for your researchers to share accurate and authoritative information about their affiliation with your institution when they apply for grants, publish an article, book, or dataset, and more.
- Improve the visibility of your outputs and ensure researchers get the recognition they deserve by synchronizing your repositories with ORCID and making sure work produced at your institution is listed in researchers’ ORCID records.
- Streamline administrative reporting processes and improve reporting quality by being able to automatically discover what researchers affiliated with your organization have published, and how it was funded.
- Track the careers of your alumni by maintaining links with their persistent ORCID identifier and automatically pulling back metadata.
- Reduce administrative burden and improve data quality by linking accounts across internal and external systems.
It is possible to integrate with HR systems, Research Information Management Systems, Repositories, Publishing Systems and eThesis and Dissertations, IdP systems and more. There are many commercial and non-commercial systems in these categories that support ORCID out of the box!
Improving the flow of research information
ORCID can help you take control of how your institution’s name is used across research systems. You probably manage research information in many different systems: grant applications, manuscript submissions, research profiles, even other systems outside of your institution. Integrating with our APIs can significantly improve the flow of this information within your own organization and between organizations at every stage of the research lifecycle, from grant application and publication to research information management reporting.
Keep up with your researchers’ careers
In combination with other persistent identifiers, ORCID enables you to authoritatively assert your staff, faculty, and student affiliations with your institution. Globally, you employ and teach millions of individuals who are engaged in innovative research, teaching, and scholarship. You can also use ORCID APIs to receive real-time notifications about research activities, to auto-update forms, and to follow your alumni’s careers after graduation, during sabbatical or secondment, or even after they’ve moved onto new positions.
ORCID resources for research organizations
ORCID offers a range of resources to support research institutions in using iDs—including best practice guidance and clear articulation of the potential benefits at every stage— and technical information.
*Active ORCID iDs are defined as populated, connected to a trusted organization, and updated.