Thanks to funding from the Leona M and Harry B Helmsley Charitable Trust, in 2017 we were able to develop a new suite of outreach resources for organizations to engage with their researchers about ORCID. The first batch of resources was released in October, to coincide with ORCID’s fifth anniversary, and we are now delighted to share some additional materials for you to adapt and use for your own community.
Translated video captions
The Why ORCID? video is now available with subtitles in Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese (simplified), and Japanese.
These captions will display automatically based on your location/display preferences. You can also turn on captions automatically, by clicking the CC button in the video player toolbar and selecting the captions you’d like to see.
Don’t see your language yet? Join the ORCID community translation project to help make these materials available in as many languages as possible.
More how-to videos
Our series of how-to videos is expanding, with three new titles now available:
- Add education information to your ORCID record
- Connect your ORCID iD with research systems
- Manage ORCID notifications
We have also added some new posters:
- All about ORCID – two versions available: classic poster, and join-the-dots style. Use this poster in digital or print format to spread the word about ORCID, and give researchers a concise summary of how ORCID can benefit them.
- Tips and tricks for building engaged communities: this poster illustrates how to use ORCID’s customizable and freely reusable communications plan and toolkit.
Initial assessment of impact
We are using a variety of metrics to assess the impact of our new outreach resources. Here are some initial findings of usage since launch (October 16, 2017):
- 223,104 views of our new KnowledgeBase (KB) articles (to December 31, 2017)
- 3.57% of KB traffic comes from the ORCID Registry (to December 31, 2017)
- 5.78% to 10.49% increase in users with at least one work, employment, education, biography, other name, person identifier, keyword, website, or more than one email connected to their ORCID record (to December 31,2017)
- 467 plays of Why ORCID video, 781 plays of How To videos combined (to January 8, 2018)
- 191 downloads of E-poster (all sizes and formats) 120 downloads of outreach presentation (to January 8, 2018)
- 30% of respondents to our January Twitter survey were already using these resources, or had plans to do so.
As we introduce additional materials, we will continue to track their impact.
We warmly invite you to use and share these resources with your communities. And please let us know what you think!