As described in the Member portal organization admin guide , before you can add affiliation data to your researcher’s ORCID records, your researchers first need to grant your organization permission to edit their record by clicking a customized link generated by the member portal.
Although the member portal generates permission links, your organization must email them to your researchers. Sending these emails from your organization’s email domain (ideally) using your organization’s branding provides advantages including:
- Increased likelihood that emails will be successfully delivered and opened
- Decreased likelihood that researchers will view emails as potential spam or phishing attempts
- Ability to fully customize the message and design according to your organization’s needs and policies
Permission email content guidelines
- Brief explanation of the purpose of the message
- Permission link generated by the member portal, customized for each researcher (as identified by email address in the CSV downloaded from the member portal)
- Steps needed to grant permission
- Brief explanation of what will happen after granting permission
- Point of contact within your organization for help or questions about your ORCID
- Link to additional information about ORCID
- Any other text or links as required by your organization’s bulk email policies
- Your organization’s branding (for example, in the message header/footer)
- Greeting customized with the researcher’s name
- Statement of institutional support for ORCID
- Links to additional information about your organization’s ORCID initiative
Sending permission emails
Via your organization’s bulk email tool (recommended)
Many organizations provide tools/services for sending email in bulk. Please check with your organization’s communications, marketing and/or IT teams as appropriate in order to determine which tools are available, and what use policies exist for those tools.
When assessing available tools, keep mind that the tool must support importing and dynamically inserting permission links generated by the member portal.
Via an organization email account
If your organization does not provide a bulk email tool, you may be able to use a regular organizational email account. Note that some email services limit the number of messages you can send from your account.
General documentation for sending bulk email using popular enterprise email services is below, however, ORCID does not provide support for using these services. Please consult your organization’s documentation and/or IT team for guidance on sending bulk email.
Mail merge with Microsoft Word (requires MAPI support enabled)
Gmail does not support “mail merge” functionality out of the box, however, several Add-ons are available from the GSuite Marketplace, including Yet Another Mail Merge
Sample message text
Subject: ORCID at [ORGANIZATION NAME]
As part of its ongoing ORCID initiative [ORGANIZATION NAME] would like to add affiliation information to your ORCID record.
Your permission is needed in order to allow us to update your ORCID record. To grant permission, simply click the link below, which will prompt you to either sign into your existing ORCID account or (if you don’t yet have an ORCID iD) register a new account.
After granting permission, an [AFFILIATION SECTION, EX: “employment” or “education”] entry will be added to your ORCID record. The source of this entry in ORCID will be [ORGANIZATION NAME].
Note: it may take up to 5 minutes for your ORCID record to be updated.
Why should I allow [ORGANIZATION NAME] to update my ORCID record?
- Less work for you! We can keep information about your [ORGANIZATION NAME] affiliation(s) up to date in ORCID automatically.
- Data can be reused in other systems with high confidence. An affiliation with [ORGANIZATION NAME] as the source is considered “authoritative”, which signals to other systems that this information is trustworthy and can be reused, for example, for automatically filling manuscript submission or grant application forms.
- [Optional, depending on other systems in use at your organization] We can associate your ORCID iD with campus systems such as X, Y and Z
What else should I know?
- Although [ORGANIZATION NAME] will only add employment information to your ORCID record at this time, the permission you grant will allow us to write other information, such as publications, to your ORCID record in future. We will notify you if we plan to do this.
- If you no longer want [ORGANIZATION NAME] to edit your ORCID record, you can revoke permission at any time. See Revoking Permission for instructions.
Questions, technical issues or data corrections?
For more information about ORCID, see [YOUR ORGANIZATION’S WEB PAGE ABOUT ORCID] . If you have questions about ORCID at [ORGANIZATION NAME], encounter technical issues, or please contact [ORCID CONTACT AT YOUR ORGANIZATION]