When users connect their institutional account to their ORCID iD in the institutional sign-in process, no information is sent to the institution from ORCID. Institutional Connect via IdP takes institutional sign-in for ORCID member organizations to the next level, by linking the user to your existing ORCID-integrated system immediately after linking their institutional account. The user is prompted to grant you permission to collect their verified ORCID iD as well as to read and update data on their ORCID record. Any system can be used to make this connection, as long as the institution belongs to one of the supported (inter)federations and is also an ORCID member.
This workflow would be:
- User chooses to sign in to their ORCID record with their institutional credentials for the first time
- User is redirected to the institutions sign in page which is specified in eduGAIN
- User signs in and is redirected back to ORCID
- User signs in to ORCID or registers for a new iD and to complete the linking of accounts.
- The user will then see an onscreen message within their ORCID record to connect their ORCID iD with their organisations integration if they have not already done so.
- User is taken to the OAuth screen to grant permission
- Member organisation then has permission to interact with the users ORCID record and can add items as per their standard integration such as employment.
This process is another way that member organisations can capture authenticated iDs!
If this is something that you would like to enable at your organisation then please contact your Regional ORCID Engagement Lead.